ExpressionEngine Beginner to Intermediate Training - San Antonio
Far away and long ago, On the trail to the Alamo
Met a gal I used to know, Ridin’ on a Cotton-eyed Joe
Everything is bigger in Texas, and Train-ee is no exception! Enjoy 3 days of southern hospitality, great scenery and tasty food while learning about EE elbow to elbow with other like-minded folks.
Days will be spent in an informal yet informative learning environment, and evenings we’ll get out on the town and see the sights!
The Class Details
During the class we’ll cover the following:
- Brief history of EE
- Review of the “EEcosystem”
- Getting a conceptual understanding of EE
- EE Control Panel Overview
- Basics of coding in EE - tags and loops
- EE linking variables
- Loading an existing design template into EE
- Chunking the visual design into parent and embedded templates
- Passing variables to embedded templates
- Designing an ExpressionEngine architecture to power the visual design
- Implementing EE channels, custom fields and categories to hold content
- Building dynamic navigation menus
- Building page titles and setting navigation states dynamically
- Working with categories
- Working with relationships
- Using EE conditionals
- Using EE variables
- Troubleshooting tips
- Using plug-ins, modules and extensions
- Implementing different content types
- Setting up the site for client access and workflow
- Fighting SPAM
- Improving performance
- EE search engine - constraints and implementation
- Discussion forum module overview
- Wiki module overview
- Multiple Site Manager Overview
- Working knowledge of (X)HTML and CSS
- A Laptop
- MAMP/WAMP installed
- ExpressionEngine installed
This class will be taught by Michael Boyink.
Michael has been teaching ExpressionEngine classes for over five years, has worked on hundreds of ExpressionEngine-based websites, wrote a book on ExpressionEngine 2, produced the first commercial EE screencasts, and has been a speaker & teacher at past ExpressionEngine Conferences.
This class will be in San Antonio, Texas USA.
Best known for The Alamo and the The Riverwalk, SanAntonio is one of our favorite cities in the USA. Come for the food, come for the mild weather, come for the music playing, come for the World’s Fair Buildings and come for the great ExpressionEngine training.
Getting into town should be a breeze —just look for flights into the San Antonio International Airport.
This class will take place at the Giles-Parscale Offices.
321 6th Street
San Antonio, Texas 78215
Giles-Parscale is a local ExpressionEngine powerhouse and also home to the folks responsible for the ExpressionEngine Conference.
There is no restriction on where you stay. Scour the web for awesome deals (just be sure to let us know what you find!) at any of the other hotels in the area (we’ve found that just about anything in the area is easily walkable):
Hotels Near The Class Venue:
This class runs from February 03, 2014 - 9:00 AM, through February 05, 2014 - 4:00 PM.
The schedule is:
- 8:30 - 9:00 AM: Open Q&A
- 9:00 - 10:30 AM: Instruction Time
- 10:30 - 10:45: Break
- 10:45 - 12:00 PM: Instruction Time
- 12:00 - 1:00 PM: Lunch (provided)
- 1:00 - 2:30 PM: Instruction Time
- 2:30 - 2:45 PM: Afternoon Break (snack provided)
- 2:45 - 4:00 PM: Instruction Time
- 4:00 - 6:00 PM: Unscheduled Time
- 6:00 - ??: Optional evening activities (TBD, dinner may be provided, bring your friends/family)
Note: If you have any special dietary or physical requirements please let us know when registering.
This class has already taken place - visit the Classroom Training page for information on current classes.