Building an ExpressionEngine 2 Site - Small Business (PDF)
EllisLab has hinted at EE 2.6 so we’ve decided to skip EE 2.5.5 completely and update the book for EE 2.6 so as to stay current as possible. I’m temporally shutting down PDF sales until that update is complete. There is no “target date” - it’s just ASAP given the other things going on in our world. The print version for EE 2.4 is still available via Amazon if you are desperate..;) Also, just be forewarned that this will be a paid update for everyone, even if you purchased the book in the past. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. ~Mike
Remember the last time your boss gave you a new project and then said “Oh, by the way, we have a new CMS to build this one on. Have fun!”
...and he was gone before the white board eraser bounced off the wall where his head just was?
Remember how much time you spent trying to read the “official” documentation - but it only told you what a feature DID but didn’t explain HOW TO USE IT?
Remember stomping your feet and crying out “I wish a magic geek genie would appear beside ma RIGHT NOW and SHOW me step by step how to USE THIS THING!”
(Maybe you didn’t say those exact words but you have to admit a geek genie would be pretty cool.)
If that new tool you need to learn is ExpressionEngine, you have found the Magic Geek Genie you need.
OK, it’s not all that Magical, nor is there really a Genie. But the geek part? Covered.
153 screen captures.
Step by step detailed how-to instructions.
Learn not only what different features of ExpressionEngine do, but HOW to implement them and WHY you would choose one approach over others.
How good is this book? EllisLab (you know, the company that created EE?) uses it to teach THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES!
Yes, that good.
By reading this book you will learn how to do the following with ExpressionEngine 2:
- Build a full-featured, database-driven, easy-to-manage, secure Small Business website (clients will name their first-born after you).
- Power any visual design for the ultimate in creative freedom (your designers will bring you brownies).
- Implement different types of content including Home, About, Products, Services, and Weblog sections (your boss will worry about his job).
- Add functionality including a Contact Form, Search, and 404 page (is that Google on the phone?).
- Use Embedded Templates, Snippets, and Variables for easier site implementation and code maintenance (one word - Bermuda).
- Organize Template Groups and Templates for semantic URLs (aren’t corner offices grand?).
- Upload, dynamically size and manage images and other files (oh, get the leather interior. Just this once).
- Use Categories for better content organization and showing related content (I’ve never felt twin outboards were ostentatious).
- Tune the site for best performance (waiting until 55 to retire is so 2010).
- Configure and optimize the Control Panel for client access (yes, “Emeritus” will fit on the card).
- Extend ExpressionEngine with third-party add-ons, including Matrix from Pixel & Tonic (the President will see you now).
The Book Includes
- A foreword by Leslie Camacho, President of EllisLab.
- Contextual links to the ExpressionEngine User Guide for more details on functionality covered.
- Chapter-based troubleshooting tips to keep you speeding along in your development.
- Code samples linked to text-based versions on Train-ee.com for ease of copy & paste into EE.
- A link to a .zip download of all code templates for ease in working offline.
- A link to a zip archive containing all photos used in sample content - to save you the hassle.
This book has taught HUNDREDS of web developers just like you how to use ExpressionEngine and is considered by many people to be the “missing owner’s manual” to the product. Here are some comments I’ve gotten from other developers who’ve purchased the book:
- “...one of the easiest tech books i’ve ever gone through.” - Amazon Reviewer, Amazon.com
- Love the book! Like the first edition, it’s realistic, easy to follow and a supremely useful resource for EE developers new and seasoned. Super rad! - Jenn Lukas, JennLukas.com
- An excellent book - very well written and the structure is great. Your “miscellaneous content” solution alone has recouped the cost of the book. - Richard Ashby, MediaCreek
- After half and hour of reading, I think I’ve already had my $30 worth :) Very happy customer. - John Mckenzie, Pocapoc
- “Very practical: you could drop all the examples in a real-world site.” - Amazon Reviewer, Amazon.com
How to Buy (Easy Peasy)
- Click the “Buy Now” button below.
- Complete the PayPal checkout process.
- Note that the download link IS NOT EMAILED to you.
- You’ll be directed back to a download page here on Train-ee.com.
- Alternatively PayPal will display a “Return to Merchant” link that will also take you to the download page.
- Be sure to download right away as the link will expire in a couple hours.
- (and be sure to charge the cost of the book back to your boss..)