Building an ExpressionEngine 2 Site - Small Business (PDF)
This is the newly revised book for ExpressionEngine 2.6.1+. EE 2.7 recently shipped, and it has a new Grid fieldtype that is not yet covered in the book.
And yes, this is a paid update even if you purchased the book in the past. We’ve just found that continued free updates to a $30 product that takes such a significant amount of time to maintain isn’t sustainable for a small business. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Remember the last time your boss gave you a new project and then said “Oh, by the way, we have a new CMS to build this one on. Have fun!”
...and he was gone before the white board eraser bounced off the wall where his head just was?
Remember how much time you spent trying to read the “official” documentation - but it only told you what a feature DID but didn’t explain HOW TO USE IT?
Remember stomping your feet and crying out “I wish a magic geek genie would appear beside me RIGHT NOW and SHOW me step by step how to USE THIS THING!”
(Maybe you didn’t say those exact words but you have to admit a geek genie would be pretty cool.)
If that new tool you need to learn is ExpressionEngine, you have found the Magic Geek Genie you need.
OK, it’s not all that Magical, nor is there really a Genie. But the geek part? Covered.
159 screen captures.
Step by step detailed how-to instructions.
Learn not only what different features of ExpressionEngine do, but HOW to implement them and WHY you would choose one approach over others.
How good is this book? EllisLab (you know, the company that created EE?) uses it to teach THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES!
Yes, that good.
By reading this book you will learn how to do the following with ExpressionEngine 2:
- Build a full-featured, database-driven, easy-to-manage, secure Small Business website (clients will name their first-born after you).
- Power any visual design for the ultimate in creative freedom (your designers will bring you brownies).
- Implement different types of content including Home, About, Products, Services, and Weblog sections (your boss will worry about his job).
- Add functionality including a Contact Form, Search, and 404 page (is that Google on the phone?).
- Use Embedded Templates, Snippets, and Variables for easier site implementation and code maintenance (one word - Bermuda).
- Organize Template Groups and Templates for semantic URLs (aren’t corner offices grand?).
- Upload, dynamically size and manage images and other files (oh, get the leather interior. Just this once).
- Use Categories for better content organization and showing related content (I’ve never felt twin outboards were ostentatious).
- Use the Relationships field to create hierarchical content and direct entry to entry relationships.(Another one - in blue - for the wife please).
- Tune the site for best performance (waiting until 55 to retire is so 2010).
- Configure and optimize the Control Panel for client access (yes, “Emeritus” will fit on the card).
- Extend ExpressionEngine with third-party add-ons, including Matrix from Pixel & Tonic (the President will see you now).
The Book Includes
- A foreword by Rick Ellis, Founder of EllisLab.
- Contextual links to the ExpressionEngine User Guide for more details on functionality covered.
- Chapter-based troubleshooting tips to keep you speeding along in your development.
- Code samples included for ease of copy & paste into EE.
- All photos used in sample content - to save you the hassle.
This book has taught HUNDREDS of web developers just like you how to use ExpressionEngine and is considered by many people to be the “missing owner’s manual” to the product. Here are some comments I’ve gotten from other developers who’ve purchased the book:
- THANK YOU! Great book, saved my skin! In less than 2 hours we’re almost already built out & have a handle on EE, amazing work!!! Looks like I’ll be able to enjoy my holiday weekend instead of spending 3 days Googling answers to issues you address within the first 100 pages of the eBook… lol! - Ash Semien, MusicHeals Foundation
- I have a client who wanted me to build an ExpressionEngine-based store for him, and I had never done it before. Without this book I would have been up poop creek without a paddle. :) - Ryan Eames, AXON FOUNDRY
- It was mainly due to your book that I was able to convert my site to EE so easily. - Laurence Knutsen, http://www.doifeellucky.co.uk
- “Michael Boyink clearly knows his stuff and the advice in his book helped me get up and running very quickly and is something I can refer back to every now and again.” - Amazon Reviewer, Amazon.com
- Exactly the book I’ve been waiting for and great timing for my EE2 dive-in. I read most of it on a flight today. Excellent examples mate. - Aaron Young, Myofunctional Research Company
How to Buy (Easy Peasy)
- Click the “Buy Now” button below.
- Complete the PayPal checkout process.
- Note that the download link IS NOT EMAILED to you.
- You’ll be directed back to a download page here on Train-ee.com.
- Alternatively PayPal will display a “Return to Merchant” link that will also take you to the download page.
- Be sure to download right away as the link will expire in a couple hours.
- (and be sure to charge the cost of the book back to your boss..)