Building an ExpressionEngine 2 Site - Small Business (PDF)
We have updated the book to match ExpressionEngine 2.9. For a list of the updates go here.
Remember the last time your boss gave you a new project and then said “Oh, by the way, we have a new CMS to build this one on. Have fun!”
...and he was gone before the white board eraser bounced off the wall where his head just was?
Remember how much time you spent trying to read the “official” documentation - but it only told you what a feature DID but didn’t explain HOW TO USE IT?
Remember stomping your feet and crying out “I wish a magic geek genie would appear beside me RIGHT NOW and SHOW me step by step how to USE THIS THING!”
(Maybe you didn’t say those exact words but you have to admit a geek genie would be pretty cool.)
If that new tool you need to learn is ExpressionEngine, you have found the Magic Geek Genie you need.
OK, it’s not all that Magical, nor is there really a Genie. But the geek part? Covered.
159 screen captures.
Step by step detailed how-to instructions.
Learn not only what different features of ExpressionEngine do, but HOW to implement them and WHY you would choose one approach over others.
How good is this book? EllisLab (you know, the company that created EE?) uses it to teach THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES!
Yes, that good.
By reading this book you will learn how to do the following with ExpressionEngine 2:
- Build a full-featured, database-driven, easy-to-manage, secure Small Business website (clients will name their first-born after you).
- Power any visual design for the ultimate in creative freedom (your designers will bring you brownies).
- Implement different types of content including Home, About, Products, Services, and Weblog sections (your boss will worry about his job).
- Add functionality including a Contact Form, Search, and 404 page (is that Google on the phone?).
- Use Embedded Templates, Snippets, and Variables for easier site implementation and code maintenance (one word - Bermuda).
- Organize Template Groups and Templates for semantic URLs (aren’t corner offices grand?).
- Upload, dynamically size and manage images and other files (oh, get the leather interior. Just this once).
- Use Categories for better content organization and showing related content (I’ve never felt twin outboards were ostentatious).
- Use the Relationships field to create hierarchical content and direct entry to entry relationships.(Another one - in blue - for the wife please).
- Tune the site for best performance (waiting until 55 to retire is so 2013).
- Configure and optimize the Control Panel for client access (yes, “Emeritus” will fit on the card).
- Extend ExpressionEngine with third-party add-ons(the President will see you now).
- Learn advanced relationships and Template Layouts (Make room on the wall for the honorary degrees).
The Book Includes
- A foreword by Rick Ellis, Founder of EllisLab.
- Contextual links to the ExpressionEngine User Guide for more details on functionality covered.
- Chapter-based troubleshooting tips to keep you speeding along in your development.
- Code samples included for ease of copy & paste into EE.
- All photos used in sample content - to save you the hassle.
This book has taught HUNDREDS of web developers just like you how to use ExpressionEngine and is considered by many people to be the “missing owner’s manual” to the product. Here are some comments I’ve gotten from other developers who’ve purchased the book:
- I was really impressed with what you covered and how practical it is. - Emily Lewis, Emily Lewis Design
- “This is the second book I’ve bought on EE2 and it’s by far the best.” - Amazon Reviewer, Amazon.com
- I’ve been reading your book on ExpressionEngine 2 and in just a few hours have found more information that actually works in the real world than I have in any other Expression Engine resource I’ve used. I’ve been using EE for a while, but have only recently started using EE2. Your book has not only brought me up to speed on the latest version of EE, but in just a few hours has showed me some invaluable techniques and hints that I will be using on all future projects. Thanks for a brilliant and comprehensive piece of work. - Andy Eagles
- “Plenty of tips and tricks throughout which I’ve been able to incorporate into my projects and now expand upon.” - Amazon Reviewer, Amazon.com
- A terrific resource - there were a number of times I stopped and said “no s**t”. - Paul Burton, 16toads Design, LLC
How to Buy (Easy Peasy)
- Click the “Buy Now” button below.
- Complete the PayPal checkout process.
- Note that the download link IS NOT EMAILED to you.
- You’ll be directed back to a download page here on Train-ee.com.
- Alternatively PayPal will display a “Return to Merchant” link that will also take you to the download page.
- Be sure to download right away as the link will expire in a couple hours.
- (and be sure to charge the cost of the book back to your boss..)